What is Orthodontics?
Most people know that orthodontics involves straightening your teeth and improving your smile. But orthodontics is also a very specialised part of dentistry which focuses on the growth and development of your teeth, jaws and face to give each individual patient the best possible function. Orthodontics is therefore not just about appearance but also about correcting your bite so that you can eat comfortably and care for your teeth and gums more efficiently throughout your life. Orthodontic treatment will give you a beautiful smile and boost your confidence and self-esteem.
What are the benefits of Orthodontics?
Before you are referred for an orthodontic consultation, your General Dentist will be happy to discuss with you the possible benefits of orthodontic treatment for either yourself or your child.
Common reasons for adults seeking treatment are:
- Correction of crowding or the closing of unsightly spaces
- Improvement in the alignment of the upper and lower teeth
- Correction of the bite so that the teeth meet more neatly and efficiently on biting
- Reduction of the prominence of the front teeth to improve appearance and reduce the likelihood of damage
- Provision of space to align impacted or displaced teeth
- Preparation for advanced restorative treatment such as crowns, bridges or implants
- Realignment of teeth that have drifted due to advanced gum disease
Common reasons for children and young people seeking treatment are:
- To improve the appearance of the teeth and create a beautiful smile
- To improve function and make it easier to eat and speak well
- To enable better oral hygiene and so give life-long improvement in the health of the teeth and gums.